Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Mini Assignment 8

The person of interest I chose was King David from the Bible. David was the youngest of eight brothers. The prophet Samuel anointed him as king, but it was many years before David took on that role. David was a young warrior known for his bravery and his skill with the harp. He faced and killed the giant Goliath. He became the commander of King Saul's army and married his daughter, Michal. He was known as "a man after God's own heart." Yet with all of his love and faithfulness in serving God, he was still a human being capable of sinning. David committed adultery with Bathsheba and had her husband killed. When confronted by the prophet Nathan, David did not try to lie or justify his actions. He admitted his sin and repented, asking God for forgiveness. I really like that about David. He took responsibility for his actions, didn't blame anyone else. I liked his transparency and honesty of his wrong actions. God still used his life. I think David was a might man of God.
Bathsheba and Uriah the Hittite
David commits adultery with Bathsheba, the wife of Uriah the Hittite. Bathsheba becomes pregnant. David sends for Uriah, who is with the Israelite army at the siege of Rabbah, so that he may lie with his wife and conceal the identity of the child's father. Uriah refuses to do so while his companions are in the field of battle and David sends him back to Joab, the commander, with a message instructing him to abandon Uriah on the battlefield, "that he may be struck down, and die." David marries Bathsheba and she bears his child, "but the thing the David had done displeased the Lord." The prophet Nathan confronts David, saying: "Why have you despised the word of God, to do what is evil in his sight? You have smitten Uriah the Hittite with the sword, and have taken his wife to be your wife." Nathan presents three punishments from God for this sin. First that the "sword shall never depart from your house" (2 Samuel 12:10) second, that "Before your very eyes I will take your wives and give them to one who is close to you, and he will sleep with your wives in broad daylight. 12 You did it in secret, but I will do this thing in broad daylight before all Israel. (2 Samuel 12:12) and finally, that "the son born to you will die" (2 Samuel 12:14). David repents, yet God "struck the (David's) child... and it became sick...(And) on the seventh day the child died." David leaves his lamentations, dresses himself, and eats. His servants ask why he wept when the baby was alive, but ends his mourning when the child dies. David replies: "While the child was still alive, I fasted and wept, I thought, 'Who knows? The Lord may be gracious to me and let the child live.' But now that he is dead, why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me." (2 Samuel 12-22-23, New International Version) (This info taken from "Wikipedia." I was unable to cut and paste, so typed the info out)
Advise I would offer David:
I think I would encourage David to continue to work on forgiving himself. I would try to follow some of Carl Rogers guidelines and look for the good. I would be really positive and supportive and show empathy. Even though I do not agree with the actions that David took on having Uriah killed and committing adultery with Bathsheba, he needs to know I do not stand in judgement. I would show him respect. As I listen to David share his story, it is important to listen with my heart. Let him know I care and encourage him there is still a future. Not to give up hope.