Saturday, July 2, 2011

BF Skinner

I found Mr. Skinner's video on reinforcement an interesting theory but definitely not factual. He has tried to present it as a fact, but I was not convinced at all. I believe as human beings, we all have the ability to think and choose, that we all have a free will. This free will starts as infants and continues throughout our entire life. I believe our environment, families, genes, associates and cultures play an important part in our decision making. He has taken all these factors away and claims it is all based on reinforcement. True, reinforcement can be a powerful tool to teach others, but it certainly does not replace a person's ability to choose. Their human mind is so much greater than a tiny, small pigeon's. To compare both as equals, as his theory suggests, is unrealistic to me.