Friday, July 1, 2011

BF Skinner

It is very interesting how we are such characters of habit. Some times I feel I can relate to that pigeon in the clip we watched. Although we are intelligent beings, we are also very prone to forming a conditioned response to the things we are rewarded for. We also form conditioned responses for things that have negative outcomes. For instance, over and over in our lives when someone sneezes, we are conditioned to say " Bless You". I have family that are Jehovah's witnesses, and I don't know if you know anything about their religion, but they don't believe that anyone can bless you but "Jehovah" For the life of me I couldn't not say Bless You when one of them would sneeze. I know for me anyway, I can be outside  and I can hear a mosquito buzz buzz buzzing in my ear, and without even thinking, I am swatting at this bug trying to make it go away. Also my dogs, like pavlov's dogs have an ear for food and are conditioned to the sound of my pantry door opening, and the rattling of the bag of their feed. I have 4 doggies and let me tell you, I scoop the food and get the heck out of the way. I have a herd of hungry dogs coming full speed ahead. They know what dinner time sounds like.