Saturday, July 2, 2011

Martin Seligman

I ended up watching this video twice because it contained so much information. There were two different areas that he talked about that really made me think. The first one was about what he called "Positive Psychology". This is where the "normal" person" may need help in learning how to fulfill different areas in their lives. He was saying that people who are considered normal, but would like their lives to be more fulfilling were just as important as those with mental problems. That somehow the "normal" people were being neglected. I don't think they are equal at all. I think the person with the mental problems have a much greater need of help, to just survive. I think the "normal" person's desires for greater fulfillment, to improve their strengths which already exist or continue building for the betterment of their lives is important. I commend their desire and agree that their wants and desires are very important, but they are not life threatening nor does their daily existence depend on getting better. In my opinion, they are not equal in there degree of need.
I also enjoyed his discussion about happiness. I agreed with him on the three stages, of what makes a happy life. The pleasant life was very superficial and enticing, the the good life, where he used Len's life as an example was very interesting. I was really pleased to hear that what society said that was needed to make you complete, such as a meaningful relationship is not always true. Len was very content and happy where he is in life. The third was indeed my favorite, the meaningful life. I found this one to be true in my personal life. No matter what is going on in my life, giving of one's self is the most rewarding and fulfilling experience there is in life. When I became a widow in my early 30's, that was one way that I healed. Through learning to help others, to get involved in their lives and become less focused on mine. It was my faith and my focus on others that brought me through. I really enjoyed the video with Mr. Seligman, he gave me a lot to think about.