Friday, June 17, 2011

June 13, 2011 Lecture

After reading this chapter I discussed the Sympathetic and Parasympathetic Nervous System with my husband. As a person who has a severe fear of flying we discussed our last trip we took together. While flying back from Atlanta our plane hit some very turbulent air. We were rocked back and forth, would drop what seemed like 1000 feet and told to remain seated. The attendants were also told to remain seated at that time, which increased my fear. I remember not being able to breath, crying uncontrollable and just wanting to run at that point. All this while knowing their was no place to go. My husband being an ex army aviator was very calm, cool and collective at that point. He reached over held my hand and talked very calmly to me. Pulled photo’s of our children out and discussed our grandson. After we climbed high enough to escape the turbulence he said “see you can breath now” . My senses calmed down, I stopped crying, relaxed and didn’t have the flight feel any longer. My breathing returned to normal and we continued our flight. It amazed me how quick my body reacted to my fear and once over how quickly it returned to normal.