Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Lecture ~ June 13th

The topic I chose to share with my husband was on the Sympathetic and Parasympathetic Nervous System. We first looked at the definition of both words and talked about examples of each one. I reminded my husband of a hike we had taken last year, up Mt Riley. Half way up, we thought we heard a bear. Most of the symptoms that the book listed, we thought we had experienced. We weren't sure about the dilation of the pupils or the digestive activity being effects. When we thought the bear had departed and we were safe, our heartbeat slowed back down, our breathing returned to normal, and we stopped perspiring. All of our sense's calmed down.
I found it interesting to review each step. It brought about a discussion on how we take our body and its functions for granted. I enjoyed talking about what I was learning in class.