Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Mini Assignment 3

What a cool thing to experiment on. My son, my daughter, and I were blown away on how easily our eyes can be tricked. First we looked at the playing cards on page 85. I had to take a double look and recount a number of time to find all the A's of spades. Now my son was tricked but only for a moment, before my daughter got to look at the perceptual set he had already given away the illusion. It was difficult to make my eyes see all 5 of the A's of spades even after I read and knew the were there. That is very tricky to the eye and brain. We moved on to figure 3.14 the color blindness test. We three looked at the test and my daughter see the number 16, and 8 in the two circles. My son states he can not see either number. I'm thinking I am loosing his interest in this experiment. Figure 3.15 was by far my favorite. My son again saw nothing, but at first neither did I. My daughter instantly saw the colors on the gray square next to the color wheel. Honestly It took a few different time of looking at it that I did see this happen. I noticed that When I looked from the dot in the color wheel then moved my eyes to the black dot in the gray box the colors didn't appear instantly but after a moment the colors did appear. My daughter saw the colors instantly. In figure 3.17 I saw the faces and the goblet. This is not the first time I had seen this illusion. My daughter only saw the faces, only after I read the caption did she notice the goblet as well. My son, long gone. Figure 3.22 my daughter thought the doors where boring. I did have her look at the way the doors seem to take on a different shape as the changes its position. Now I did get a positive response from the illusions in figure 3.23. The blinking effect with the black boxes trick our eyes into believing that the white circles are blinking. The blinking effect, rotational, ponzo, and pattern recognition illusions did trick both our eyes.